Item 11 - St Stithians College. [circular] Letter from L P Kent to Parents and Guardians

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

ZA ZAR STS 2019-004-11


St Stithians College. [circular] Letter from L P Kent to Parents and Guardians


  • 1961 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

Foolscap typed and roneoed circular

Context area

Name of creator

(1962 -)

Administrative history

BC cultural club started by Charmian Kennealy in 1962.

Name of creator

(1891 - 1967)

Biographical history

Kent was born in Hastings, in the UK in 1891 and emigrated to South Africa with his parents in 1894. He was educated at Kingswood College in Grahamstown (now known as Makhanda). It is likely that it was here that he met fellow Methodists, Wally Mears, Gilbert Tucker, Thomas Hall and Basil Read, all of whom were later involved in the founding and building of St Stithians College.
Kent was an accountant by profession and formed his own company, Palmer, Kent and Co., that was the first to be engaged by the Anglo-Transvaal Consolidated Investment Company.
Kent was an active Methodist who became a St Stithians Trustee on the death of DF Corlett. He became Chairman of council at a difficult time when there were differences in interpretation of the roles of the College governance and that of the Headmaster. Kent was also involved in the selection of Walter Macfarlane as first BP headmaster.

On 30 October 1957, Kent opened the first swimming bath as it was then known. This had been a priority for parents as the College offered few sporting opportunities at its inception and the parents felt that a swimming batch would serve all the boys. However, it was not a priority for Council. As a result, the parents had to raise the funds for the pool themselves, but invited Kent to officially open the pool. He was vice-chair of council at the time. By 1957, the country knew that it would be changing from the imperial to the metric system and St Stithians was thus the first school in Johannesburg to have a pool measured in metres rather than yards.
The BP Library was officially opened by Mrs Eunice Lilian Kent in 1969.

An obituary for Mr. Kent appears in the Stythian of 1967, page 7. It was written by Ray Bradley. Here is a link to the magazine in AtoM:

Kent House in the BP is named in his honour.

Archival history

Historical collection

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Donated by Bill Moir

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Circular letter advising parents and guardians advising them of the appointment of Steyn Krige as the second Headmaster of the College.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Items grouped in series within the box

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Copyright St Stithians College

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Record created by MR 20191119




Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places